ALBERTA BUSINESS IMMIGRATION PROGRAMS (PNP)
The Alberta Self-employed Farmer Stream aims to attract farm owners, managers and operators who wish to settle in Alberta and start a sustainable farming business.
Find your eligibility
1. ALBERTA – SELF-EMPLOYED FARMER STREAM
- Applicants must prove that they have farm management skills which can be shown by:
- Financial documentation of applicant’s existing farm business
- Documentation of applicant’s education, training and work experience
- Proposed business plan for the farming enterprise the applicant wishes to start in Alberta
- Proof that a Canadian financial institution is willing to finance the applicant’s proposed farming business.
- Applicant must have sufficient financial resources to develop a sustainable farming operation:
- Applicant must be able to invest a minimum of CD$500,000 of equity in a primary production farming business in Alberta.
- Applicant must provide documents that demonstrates a minimum net worth of CD$500,000 or confirmation of having access to a similar amount of funds from other sources.
- The CD$500,000 is the minimum amount. Applicant may be required to show the ability to invest more than the minimum.
- Applicant must invest in a primary production farming business in Alberta:
- Applicant will have to document where (in what type of farming activity) he/she plans to invest in the proposed business plan.
- Applications representing the best opportunity for growth relevant to Alberta’s agri-food targets will be given priority.
Meeting the criteria listed above does not guarantee a nomination or permanent residence.
2. International Graduate Entrepreneur Immigration Stream (IGE)
International students who have completed two years of post-secondary education in Alberta may qualify to apply under the Alberta Provincial Nomination Program and eventually obtain permanent residency of Canada.
- Applicants must have studied for two years full-time at a post-secondary educational institution in Alberta.
- Applicants must have post-graduate work permit for 36 months and apply for Expression of Interest (EOI) before the completion of 12 months.
- Applicants must have a minimum IELTS score of 6 bands in each individual category.
- Applicants must establish a new business or purchase an existing business in Alberta with minimum ownership of 34%. The other partner must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- Applicants must have six months of full-time work experience of running and managing an active business. This work experience can be obtained before or after study and inside or outside of Alberta. However, this work experience requirement can be waived if the two-year study period in Alberta is in Entrepreneurship programs.
- There are no minimum investment requirements. However, applicants must have the necessary financial resources to establish and manage a business.
- There is no age requirement but preferred age is between 21-49 years.
- Though not mandatory requirements, the following factors may increase an applicant’s chances of being nominated if –
- the business is located in a rural area
- business is beneficial to the local economy
- applicant has a relative in Alberta
- applicant’s spouse is educated in Alberta
- the amount of investment made by the applicant is substantial and
- applicant opts for business succession