Portugal Citizenship by Investment
PORTUGAL ‘GOLDEN VISA’ PROGRAM | EUROPE RESIDENCY
PORTUGAL ‘GOLDEN VISA’ PROGRAM
Portugal offers residence permits called ‘Golden Visa’ to non-EU citizens provided they invest in the country for at least 5 years. Golden Residence Permit holders have access to free movement across all 26 Schengen countries and stays of up to 90 days in every 6 month period (from the date of entry) in these countries, which is a great advantage to foreign citizens, who are usually subject to strict EU immigration regulations and visas when travelling to or across Europe. With extremely reduced minimum stay requirements, the Golden Visa is clearly one of the most attractive residency programs for investors in the world.
This Golden Visa scheme aims to attract wealthy foreign investors, as well as their families, to help re-launch the Portuguese economy and is a great opportunity for non-EU investors to buy luxury holiday homes in renowned resorts, to carry out financial investments or to set up business ventures in Portugal.
PORTUGALGOLDEN VISA PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
- Anyone with a valid Schengen visa or Portuguese visa can apply. Residency applications have to be made within 90 days of entry into Portugal.
- Shareholders of companies already set up in Portugal, or in another EU State, with a stable residence in Portugal and with tax obligations fulfilled.
- Applicants must not have a criminal record.
- Applicants must not be subject of an entry ban in their home country.
- Applicants must not be subject of alerts in the Schengen Information System.
- Applicants must not be subject of alerts in SEF’s Information Integrated System issued for purposes of non-admission.
Portugal Citizenship by Investment Options
There are eight investment options available:
(I) Capital Investment Options
- A financial investment/capital transfer of above €1 million to be invested in any type of business or company before submission of the application AND creation of at least 10 permanent jobs OR
- A financial investment of €1 million in government securities and bonds OR
- Transfer of Funds above €350,000 for research activities OR
- Transfer of Funds above €350,000 for acquisition of units of investment funds or for venture capital funds OR
- Transfer of Funds above €250,000 for artistic or cultural activities OR
- Transfer of Funds above €500,000 for capitalization of small and medium size companies
(II). Real Estate Investment – (Program closed Oct. 2023)
- Acquisition of property above €350,000 for properties more than 30 years old or located in areas of urban renovation
- Acquisition of real estate property of any type above €500,000, which must be purchased before the application is submitted
The last option is the cheapest, fastest and most attractive way to get a residence permit in Portugal. Co-ownership is now allowed and each co-owner has to make an investment of €500,000.
The properties must have been acquired after October 2012 and must be free from any charges or mortgages.
These acquired properties can be freely rented and let for commercial, agricultural and tourism purposes.
The investment must be mandatorily kept in Portugal for a period of at least 5 years after the residence permit has been granted. The Golden Residence Permit is granted for an initial period of 1 year and then renewed subsequently for 2 additional periods of 2 years, provided all the requirements are duly fulfilled and minimum stay periods are maintained.
Minimum stay periods:
The applicant must stay in Portugal for at least 7 days during the first year and 14 days during the following successive periods of two years. After those 5 years, the holder of the Golden Residence Permit can apply for a Permanent Residence Permit, and after 6 years it is even possible to apply for
Portuguese citizenship golden visa
The decision to grant a Residence Permit is usually taken within 60 days after the submission of the application, which must include evidence that the financial or real estate investment has already been completed.
Benefits of Portugal Golden Visa Program
- Several investment options
- Full family residency
- Very flexible residency requirements and reduced stay requirements
- Permanent Residency after 5 years
- Citizenship after 6 years. Dual citizenship permitted.
- EU Schengen visa free travel and right to live, work, and study in Portugal
- Attractive taxation system
Find your eligibility
Portugal Investor Visa Consultant in Ahmedabad, India
Portugal Golden Visa Lawyer